In North Dakota, the beautiful outdoors beckon residents and visitors alike on sunny days. Lakes teem with enthusiasts engaging in activities like kayaking, boating, waterskiing, and swimming. The charm of our great outdoors is undeniable. However, while soaking up the fun, it’s essential to prioritize safety, especially when boating. Boating accidents, regrettably, are all too frequent and can result in heartbreaking and even fatal outcomes. If you or a loved one has been affected by a boating accident, reach out to Pringle & Herigstad immediately. Let us help you navigate the legal waters and get the compensation and justice you deserve
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
When it comes to boats, operators of these marine recreational vehicles have a duty to properly maintain their vessels as well as operate them in a safe manner. Should they fail to uphold this duty and someone is injured as a result, they may be held liable for compensating the person injured as a result of their negligence. Boat accidents can happen for a number of reasons and people can be tragically injured as a result.
Some of the more common causes of boating accidents include:
- The boat operator was under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- The boat was driven at excessive speeds
- The boat operator was distracted
- The boat operator was careless
- The boat operator was inexperienced
- The boat operator was not following proper navigational rules
- There were rough water conditions
- There was inclement weather
- The boat experienced equipment or mechanical failure
Activities associated with boating can also play a part in a boating accident. For instance, boating accidents involving water skiers are actually fairly common. This type of accident can occur for a number of reasons. For instance, there may not have been a proper lookout while the water skier was being towed by the boat.
Boating accidents can involve those on the boat, those on other boats nearby, swimmers, kayakers, water skiers, and more. Considering the fact that water is a common thread in these accidents, it is important to understand that the risk of drowning is a very real threat when discussing the potential of a boating accident occurring. As such, boaters should be sure to always take proper safety precautions to help ensure that they, and those around them, stay safe.
Types of Boating Accidents
While there are various causes of boating accidents, it’s equally vital to recognize the different types of incidents that can occur on the water. Each accident type presents its own set of challenges and potential injuries. Here are some of the most common types of boating accidents in North Dakota:
- Collision with Another Vessel: This is one of the most frequent types of boating accidents, often resulting from negligence, lack of experience, or impaired operation.
- Flooding or Swamping: Poor maintenance or overloading can lead to a boat taking on water, leading to potential capsizing or sinking.
- Grounding: When a boat hits the bottom, usually the shore or a sandbar, it can cause damage to the boat and injuries to passengers.
- Capsizing: A boat flipping over, usually due to imbalanced loading or harsh weather conditions, leading to potential drowning incidents.
- Falls Overboard: Such incidents can be attributed to slippery decks, sudden boat maneuvers, or lack of proper railings and can result in drownings or hypothermia.
- Skier Mishaps: These accidents specifically involve water skiers and can be due to the boat operator’s negligence or the skier’s own mistakes.
- Propeller Accidents: These involve individuals getting struck by the boat’s propeller, leading to severe, often traumatic injuries.
It’s worth noting that any of these accidents can turn fatal, especially without proper safety equipment or training. Prevention and education are key to ensuring safer boating experiences.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a boating accident, you may be able to pursue compensation for the harm you have suffered from the boat owner or operator responsible for causing your injuries. Like other personal injury claims, compensation in boating accident cases may include:
- Medical expenses
- Cost of future medical care
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
North Dakota Boating Injury Lawyers
Nothing will turn a day of fun on the water upside down like a boating accident. If you have been injured in a boating accident, do not hesitate to reach out to the dedicated legal team at Pringle & Herigstad. We are here to act as your zealous advocates as we fight to enforce your legal rights to be properly compensated for your losses. Contact us today.
Pringle & Hergistad, P.C. represents boating injury and boat accident victims across Grand Forks, Minot, and North Dakota. Our experienced legal team is committed to fighting for the rights and compensation of those who have suffered due to boat-related incidents.