North Dakota Workplace Accident Attorney

Man in sling due to workplace accident

Every day, workers across all industries face numerous workplace hazards and risks on the job. From overexertion and repetitive strain injuries to catastrophic loss of limb, serious falls, and toxic exposure, workplace accidents can be disastrous and, in the worst cases, fatal.

At Pringle & Herigstad, P.C., we have dedicated a significant portion of our practice to representing injured workers throughout North Dakota since 1909. We have helped thousands of clients get back on their feet after serious work-related accidents and injuries, helping them secure the rightful benefits they were owed. Whether you need help with a workers’ compensation claim or want to learn more about filing a third-party work injury lawsuit, turn to our personal injury team today.

We have two offices located in Minot and Grand Forks and provide all our services on a contingency fee basis. This means you owe nothing unless/until we secure compensation for you.

Call (855) 245-5100 or contact us online to set up a free initial consultation today.

Who Is Eligible for Workers’ Compensation in North Dakota?

In North Dakota, nearly all employees are covered by workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system that allows employees to recover certain benefits when they are injured on the job or due to work-related activities. Because it is a no-fault system, you do not have to prove that your employer (or any other person or party) was negligent in claiming workers’ compensation benefits. However, in exchange, you are prohibited from suing your employer after a work-related injury or illness.

You are eligible for workers’ compensation in North Dakota if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are classified as an “employee” (rather than an “independent contractor”)
  • Do you work part-time, full-time, or seasonally?
  • You were injured at work or became injured/ill due to work-related activities
  • You are not exempted from workers’ compensation

Workers’ compensation exemptions are rare, but you may be ineligible if you are a certain type of worker or are otherwise exempt. For example, workers’ compensation does not cover farm/agricultural workers, railroad workers, certain domestic workers, licensed real estate brokers, and other specific workers.

What to Do After a Workplace Injury

If you are injured on the job or are diagnosed with a medical condition related to your employment, there are several important steps you should take right away to protect your health and your rights.

As soon as possible after the accident, injury, or diagnosis, be sure to do the following:

  • Seek appropriate medical attention. If necessary, call 911 or go to the emergency room. Even if you do not feel that you are severely injured, you may have underlying injuries or a condition that is difficult to detect. Always see a doctor after a workplace accident.
  • Report the accident, injury, or illness to your employer. In North Dakota, you must report your work-related injury or illness within seven days of being injured or discovering the injury/illness. If you fail to notify your employer, you could lose your opportunity to recover benefits.
  • File your workers’ compensation claim within one year of the date of the injury or the date on which you discovered or reasonably could have discovered the injury/illness. Most often, your employer will file your official claim on your behalf.
  • Contact an attorney if you encounter any issues with your workers’ compensation claim. This includes employer/insurance company disputes, early termination of benefits, and all other difficulties or disputes with your claim.

Note that your employer may choose a designated medical provider (DMP) for you; if your employer selects a DMP, you must be treated by that doctor for at least 30 days unless you have previously provided your employer with written notice of your preferred medical provider. After 30 days, you are allowed to request a new doctor.

How Pringle & Herigstad, P.C. Can Help

At Pringle & Herigstad, P.C., our North Dakota workplace accident attorneys have extensive experience handling all types of work-related injury and illness claims. We can assist you with all aspects of your workers’ compensation claim, from the initial filing to appealing a denial or early termination of benefits. Our attorneys can handle all the necessary paperwork and documents, gather applicable evidence, and fight back against disputes regarding your benefits, your injuries, and your claim.

Additionally, we provide dedicated legal representation to clients navigating third-party work injury claims, as well as farm accident claims, FELA claims, and more. We are well-versed in the many nuances inherent in these types of cases and have helped thousands of injured workers get back on their feet after serious accidents, injuries, and illnesses. We have also successfully represented numerous spouses, children, and other family members in workplace fatality claims involving wrongful deaths on the job and resulting from working conditions/activities.

Over 100 Years of Experience

For more than a century, Pringle & Herigstad, P.C. has earned a reputation for standing up for the rights of ordinary workers, individuals, and families throughout North Dakota. From our offices in Minot and Grand Forks, we are poised to assist you with your legal needs regardless of where you live or work.

We offer free consultations and contingency fees—you have nothing to lose by contacting our firm and speaking to our North Dakota workers’ compensation lawyers about your legal rights and options. We can even provide a same-day appointment if needed.

To get started with your free case evaluation, call (855) 245-5100 or contact us online today.