police car lights at night in city with selective focus and blurry car traffic
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

North Dakota Crash Reporting Requirements

Drivers and passengers may have hesitations after a crash when it comes to calling 911. Many may think this is an unnecessary step in the process and that it’s easier to handle these issues just between drivers and their insurers. In addition, there could be many other reasons why someone may not want to involve law enforcement. However, certain crashes must be reported, and calling 911 is one of the most efficient ways of doing so.

Which Crashes Must Be Reported?

In North Dakota, a motor vehicle accident that results in injury, death, or property damage exceeding $4,000 should be immediately reported to law enforcement. After calling 911 and an officer or sheriff (depending on the crash’s location) arrives on the scene, it’s important to provide the details of the crash and any visible injuries. You should be able to obtain a copy of this report within 10 days of the accident through the state’s Department of Transportation website.

Benefits of Having a Crash Report

There are a few reasons why it’s beneficial to have a law enforcement officer file a report and obtain a copy for your records. For one, having an official document can help speed up the insurance claim process. It also provides both drivers an unbiased account of what happened and may help prevent any false claims or accusations.

In some cases, a driver may try to leave the scene of the accident without exchanging information. If this happens and you’re unable to get the other driver’s insurance information, a police report can be incredibly helpful. This report can be used to file an uninsured motorist claim with your personal insurer. Finally, a crash report can be an essential piece of evidence if you were to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

Injured in a Crash? Call (855) 245-5100

Pringle & Herigstad, P.C. is here to be an essential resource for those who have been injured in crashes. Our firm has been serving the community for over 110 years, and our attorneys have the experience and knowledge needed to help your claim be successful. Call (855) 245-5100 today to discuss how we can help you.