Car driving on a highway
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

For employees whose jobs require driving (like those in the transportation industry) or traveling for work, being involved in a collision while on-the-job can have significant consequences. In some cases, a driver’s injuries may go overlooked as they assess vehicle damages and ensure every passenger’s safety. However, these workers should know that they still have a right to pursue compensation for car accident injuries.

What to Do If Injured in a Car Crash While On-The-Job

If you were injured while driving for work, or in a car accident while on a business trip, the first step is to seek medical attention and then contact your employer. Your company should have a protocol in place for accidents and will likely require a detailed accident report.

In addition, you will want to document everything related to the crash including:

  • The names and contact information of any witnesses
  • Photos of the accident scene, your injuries, and vehicle damage
  • A police report (if available)

Once you have gathered all this information, you should reach out to an experienced car accident lawyer who can help you navigate the next steps. Your lawyer will review your case and determine the best way to proceed.

Can Drivers File a Workers’ Compensation Claim?

If you were driving for work purposes and got into an accident, you may be eligible to file a workers’ compensation claim. North Dakota employers are required to carry this coverage, so generally, if you were hurt while on the job in a motor vehicle accident, there are options.

However, there may be some instances in which you could pursue compensation outside of the workers’ compensation system. For example, if your accident was caused by someone who wasn’t working at the time of the collision, you might be able to file a third-party liability claim against that person.

If you have questions about how to pursue damages against the individual responsible for your crash or a workers’ compensation claim, the team at Pringle & Herigstad, P.C. can help. Schedule a free consultation today by calling (855) 245-5100.