What To Do If I am In a Car Accident?

If you're involved in a car accident in North Dakota, there are a number of insurance matters you need to be aware of.

First, if you are injured and need medical attention, you need to contact your insurance company as it is liable for your medical expenses up to at least $30,000. This is called "no-fault" coverage as it doesn't matter if the accident is your fault or not, the medical coverage is available. If you have medical insurance, your car insurer will coordinate with your medical insurer as to how the bills will be paid. Additionally, this "no-fault" coverage will reimburse you for a portion of any lost wages caused by the accident.

Second, if the accident is your fault, and someone is injured, your insurance policy provides liability coverage to protect you against any claims against you up to the limits of your policy. This includes the cost of hiring an attorney, which your company will do for you. So, you need to notify your company as soon as possible after an accident so it can do a proper investigation and protect your interests.

Third, if you are injured, and another party is at fault and that party has insurance, you may have a claim against that party, depending on the seriousness of your injury. The amount of your claim depends on many factors and legal representation is a prudent idea in that situation.

If you are injured in an accident and the responsible party doesn't have insurance or doesn't have enough insurance, your liability policy may cover your claim under your uninsured or underinsured coverage. Typically, you have the same amount of this coverage under your policy as you do liability coverage so you are protected against drivers that either don't insure themselves or don't purchase enough insurance for the injuries involved.

Fourth, if you have property damage to your car, the insurer of the driver responsible for the accident, or your insurer, if you have collision insurance, will be responsible for the cost of repairing your car.